Monday, May 5, 2014

Things I've Learned After One Month Hiking the AT

It has been just over a month since we started the AT in Amicalola Falls. We've hiked over 350 miles, eaten a lot of food, lost weight, acquired ridiculous tan lines, and learned a lot about ourselves along the way. I thought it would be nice to reflect on some of the life lessons we've accumulated over the miles.

Catnip's AT Life Lessons
Big Bald Mountain after a 21.3 mile and a 19 mile day...
1. All you need are the bare necessities.We started the trail with every kind of widget and doohickey that we could think of -- since then, we've sent about half of it home. All you really need is food, water, socks, something to keep you dry and something to keep you warm.

2. Stopping in town is great. We make most of our town-stops to resupply or avoid major storms, but it has been such a pleasure to spend time in these towns that were never on our radar.

3. Poptarts and coffee make a surprisingly well balanced and energy-sustaining breakfast. After trying a plethora of different breakfast combinations, Poptarts and Folger's individual coffee bags have become my tried and true morning starters. I've been able to hike longer with more energy on those artificial rectangular "pastries" than on nuts, oatmeal, granola, or even a candy bar. Say what you will about those sugary toaster squares, but they've become the best part of my day.

Packing up our gear after a very rainy night just outside of Hot Springs, NC
4. Hiking in the rain isn't that bad. While we try to avoid the rain as much as we can, we've been caught in several downpours. It is way better to get wet hiking with your gear covered and dry than to already be at camp, totally dry and have your tent get soaked.

5. Take more pictures of people and less pictures of mountains. One of the most amazing and valuable things about the AT is the community around it. The hikers and hiking-enthusiasts create a warmth around the trail that makes you want to keep going. There are plenty of mountains and beautiful views, but those won't change -- the people are what make the trail what it is and it's important to remember those faces and moments.

6. Enjoy food in town, but don't hurt yourself. I've been so hungry. When my hunger set in, I came into my first town and hurt myself -- my body wanted more food than my stomach could take. Enjoy the appetite but don't eat to the point where you can't move...

Stopping for lunch with fellow hikers. YUM.
7. The forest smells amazing. Seriously.

8. "Slackpacking" is fantastic. I recently did my first 11 mile section without my full pack on and it was spectacular. The cascading streams were more beautiful, the pines smelled pinier, I felt like I was flying weightless down the trail. It was awesome. If you can swing it, it's worth hiking a few days without your pack to renew your love of the woods.

9. Hitchhiking isn't that scary. Well, at least near the trail -- most of the people who will stop for you are hikers or former hikers themselves, otherwise it'll just be an adorable old couple with a dog named Fred.

10. Mountain spring water is frickin delicious. We recently switched from chlorine tablets and iodine treatment for our water to using a Steripen and were immediately blown away by the delicious flavor of untainted mountain water. It is cold, delicious and refreshing.

11. Don't be so hard on yourself. Some days you'll just feel "off" -- don't get down on yourself for it. When we were at Top of Georgia hostel, Sir Packs-A-Lot said to imagine your 10-year-old self hiking next to you and what you would say to 10-year-old you if your leg hurt or you felt worn out. Would you yell at yourself to keep going or would you gently encourage yourself to take a break. You are your own worst critic, so take it easy on yourself and enjoy your hike.

So there you have it! Only 340 miles into this 2,176 journey and I'm already a wiser woman!


Waiting for a shuttle into Gatlinburg at Clingman's Dome.

4 comments:

  1. I have loved following you both along your incredible journey! I'm glad you are enjoying yourselves and that you are taking in the wonder that life (and nature) has to offer.

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lessons for all. Thanks for the honesty and humility. And for the insight into what it's like to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving following your blog, my son is on the trail also but he is ahead of you, XCcrow. Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this blog....such truisms!

    ReplyDelete